The Immich-Batterieberg winery in Enkirch is one of the oldest wineries on the Moselle.
The middle part of the winery, which still exists today, was first mentioned in 908 AD in a document of the last East Franconian Carolingian king, Louis IV, in which a transfer of the estate to the church was confirmed.According to archaeological estimates, the base of the building probably dates from the second half of the 9th century. Particularly worth seeing is the supporting basalt column in the deep cellar, which was probably "recycled" from a nearby Roman estate.In the 12th century, the estate was given as a fief to the Princes of Esch, converted and expanded, and thus came to be known as Escheburg today. The right wing of the estate, the Franzhaus, was built in the 16th century, and the manor house, which today forms the left wing of the estate, was added in the early 20th century in the richly decorated Mosel-Franconian style. The Immich family was particularly influential in the history and development of the winery. With a winegrowing history dating from 1425 to 1989, the Immich family is one of the oldest winegrowing families on the Moselle. It is to them that we owe our most famous vineyard, the Batterieberg, which was formed into one of the top vineyards of the Moselle between 1841 and 1845 with countless blasting batteries (hence the somewhat unusual vineyard name) and which today, together with the historically older top vineyards Steffensberg, Ellergrub and Zeppwingert - all steep slate sites that were grouped into the highest class parcel by parcel according to the "Prussian site classification of 1868" (based on Napoleon's "Classification des Vines").