© Gemälde: Karl Weysser (1874); Foto: Dr. Benno Lehmann, Unknown

Weysser circular route Enkirch

  • start: Tourist-Info Enkirch
  • destination: Tourist-Info Enkirch
  • easy
  • 2,10 km
  • 1 hour 30 minutes
  • 72 m
  • 145 m
  • 99 m
  • 80 / 100
  • 20 / 100

The painter Karl Weysser painted and sketched numerous street scenes, views of towns and houses in Enkirch around 1874. A circular route along his motifs pays tribute to his work.

Karl Weysser's paintings provide an exciting insight into life and the Rhenish half-timbered buildings of Enkirch at the time around 1874. Many of his motifs are still preserved and easily recognisable. Unfortunately, some of the houses he painted fell victim to fire disasters in the 19th and early 20th centuries. But thanks to his works, one can still easily imagine what it looked like at the respective locations back then.

General information

features
  • scenic
  • dining
  • culture
  • top
Directions

The Karl Weysser circular trail leads in two loops through the historic centre of Enkirch along the locations from which he painted or drew the numerous half-timbered houses and motifs.From the tourist information office, the trail first leads uphill through Weingasse, along numerous half-timbered buildings, the local history museum to the Protestant church. From there we continue over cobblestones through the street "Am Wallgraben" to the junction Königsstraße/ Zum Herrenberg. There we turn right into the street "Zum Herrenberg", where we turn right again after about 100 metres into Königsstraße. In Königsstraße we follow the street to the left until we reach the "Spilles-Treppe". Here it is worth taking a look at the "Drilles", a historical punishment site. Then we follow the stairs uphill to the weekly market and continue along the street "Am Wochenmarkt" along the Protestant church and through Kirchstraße to Oberdorf. After a detour into Thonesstraße, we continue from there on the left through Sponheimerstraße to the junction with Priesterstraße. Follow this downhill through Priesterstraße and Weingasse back to the Tourist Information.

Safety Guidelines

No  warnings are necessary.

Equipment

Light footwear and equipment appropriate to the weather are sufficient

Tip

A visit to the local history museum and the protestant church are worthwhile.

Getting there

By car via the B53, L192 or L193  to Enkirch on the Moselle

Parking

Parking at the Mosel car park in Enkirch - free of charge. Approx. 150m to the starting point

Public transit

By train (Easter to October): with Mosel-Wein-Bahn to the Kövenig stop, then by ferry to Enkirch. To the starting point approx. 150m from the ferry.

By bus with line 333 (Moselbahn, Trier-Bullay) or line 720 (Bullay-Traben-Trabach) to the Enkirch stop. Approx. 150m to the starting point

Literature

The book "Enkirch/Mosel in picturesque depictions of the 19th century by Karl Weysser" is available at the TouristInfo

Additional Information

Tourist-Information Enkirch

Am Brunnenplatz 2

56850 Enkirch

Telefon: 06541 9265

info@enkirch.de

Weather

This tour is presented by: Moselregion Traben-Trarbach Kröv, Author: Birgit Immich

Next steps
Download GPX

It appears that you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your web browser to access our site.

For practical and security reasons, we recommend that you use a current web browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, or Edge. Internet Explorer does not always display the complete content of our website and does not offer all the necessary functions.